r The Bull Family
The Bull Family
The Ancestors of Ansley Bull
Henry Bull

Bull Family Album

 
G5 Joseph Bull Elizabeth unknown unknown unknown George Smith
( - )
Elizabeth ?
( - )
Charles Hare
(1760- )
Sarah Aldridge
(1767- )
 
 
G4 Joseph Bull
(1784-1814)
Elizabeth Nicholson
( - )
John Smith
(1775-1855)
Martha Johnson Hare
(1789-1837)
 
 
G3 Henry Bull
(1813-1891)
Martha Sarah Smith
(1816-1893)
 
 
G2 Ansley Bull
(1855-1944)
= 1880
Kate Mary Taylor
(1859-1925)
 
Bulls in Royston
The Bull family is another of our English families with a very common name and no clear geographic origin (apart from the "southwest" of England) as shown in this map.

The only early Bull records are from the parish records of St John, Royston in the late 18th century, where Joseph Bull was a store keeper and inn keeper. However, beyond those bare facts we know little else.

It is my impression that they were not native to that area and came to Royston from elsewhere, some guesses:

Wherever they were from, it seems likely it was in the London, East Anglia area.
A Brief History of St John the Baptist, Royston
St John the Baptist, Royston
St John the Baptist, Royston

Royston 1880
Royston 1880

The following is an extract from the History of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist

The Parish Church of St John the Baptist is the only surviving part of an Augustinian priory which dates from the latter half of the twelfth century. It was set up on land granted by Eustace de Merc, Lord of the Manor of Newsells, and its site may have been influenced by the existence of a nearby wayside cross and the possible presence of a hermitage at the crossroads of Ermine Street and Icknield Way. The cross was either established or restored by a Lady Roisia (Crux Roisia) and the town's name was thus derived: Roisia's Tun or Royston.

The prior was granted considerable judicial powers although it seems likely that he found some difficulty in maintaining order in a town which straddled the country boundary (the boundary ran along what is now Baldock Street and Melbourn Street until the 1890's. There were disputes with the Knights Templar of Baldock over market rights and the town was burned down twice, in 1324 and 1405.

Royston Priory, as one of the lesser monasteries, was dissolved by the Act of Suppression in 1536 and work began almost immediately to tear the building down. However, the townspeople had come to look upon the church as their parish church, for until 1540 Royston was divided between the parishes of Reed, Barkway, Therfield, Bassingbourn and Melbourn. As in St Albans, the townspeople purchased the building for what is believed to have been the sum of £800 (something like £80,000 in present day terms) and in 1540 an Act of Parliament created the new parish of Royston and the church was dedicated to St John the Baptist.

Smith of Enfield
These families lived in the Enfield area north of London from at least the early 17th century. From census data it appears that many of them lived in Forty Hill just north of Enfield. They were largely farmers and agricultural labourers.

As confirmed by this 1881 map, this is a very common name in England with no clear origin.

The 1881 maps show that the other names linked with the Smiths, Hare and Aldridge, are from the Yorkshire / Durham and Oxford / Bedford areas.

Enfield Parish church of St Andrew, Market Place (1550 - 1875)

Enfield, Dom. Enefelde (probably from the Anglo Saxon én and feld, a forest clearing) is about 9 miles from London by road. The Great Eastern Railway has a branch line to Enfield, and the Great North Railway has also a short line. Enfield parish is very large, containing 12,653 acres, and being eight and a half miles long from east to west and three to six miles from north to south. The river Lea is its eastern boundary, East Barnet and Hadley its western, Edmonton the southern and Cheshunt, South Mimms, and Northaw the northern. Enfield parish is divided into four quarters: Town quarter, comprising the central portion of the parish and the eastern side of Chase Side; Chase quarter, the whole of the Enfield Chase, Windmill Hill, and the western side of Chase Side; Bull's Cross quarter, Enfield Wash, Forty Hill and the north-eastern section of the parish; and Green Street quarter, Green Street, Ponders, and Enfield Highway. Enfield gave the title of Baron to the Earls of Rochford. Enfield has eight manors, two of which, Enfield and Worcester, were formally royal manors, each having its palace and park, and with these the historical interest in Enfield is chiefly associated. In the time of the Confessor the manor of Enfield was owned by Osgar, master of the horse to King Edward. At the Doomsday Survey it belonged to Geoffrey de Mandeville, a powerful Norman baron who accompanied William to the Conquest. The account of Enfield in the Doomsday Book supports the derivation of the name, and gives an unusually bright picture of an English village in the early years of the Conquest. Evidently it was a large village within a cleared portion of the forest.. Edward I, in 1303, granted by charter a license to Humphrey de Bohun and his heirs to hold a market at Enfield weekly on Mondays. James I renewed the grant, altering the day to Saturday.

The church, St Andrew, stands as has been said on the northern side of the market place, and within a spacious but over-crowded church yard. It is of flint and stone, but covered externally with cement, perpendicular in style, and consists of nave, with clerestorey, chancel, and aisles, west tower, with a peal of eight bells, and southern porch. The long side of the church lying parallel to the market place, plaster-covered, and having continuous lines of ugly (and comparatively modern) battlements alike on tower, nave, aisles and chancel, can hardly be called picturesque, and certainly not impressive.

Other churches: Jesus Church, Forty Hill, St George's Mission Church, St James, Enfield Highway, St Matthew, Ponders End

Most records of the family associate them with St Andrew's, Enfield and Jesus Anglican Church, Forty Hill, however some events also took place at St Giles Cripplegate in the center of London. This would imply that some of the family lived near St Giles. The St Giles connection needs pursuit as there are Bull, Hare and Aldridge records there.

While Enfield is now inside the M25 motorway which encircles London, in the 1850s it was a rural area. The Enfield munitions factory was built there in ???? and must have been a major employer for the area.

The batch numbers of the IGI records for St Andrew, Enfield are:

Christenings: C067861, C067862
Marriages: E067862, M067861, M067862, M067863

Hare Family
The Hare family also have a long association with Enfield.
Notes & References
  1. IGI
  2. Bull family History
  3. Census