The Smith Family
The Ancestors of Martha Sarah Smith
Martha Sarah Bull

Smith Family Album

 
G6 unknown unknown unknown unknown Charles Hare
(1735 - )
Anne Smith
( - )
Thomas Aldridge
(c1730- )
Elizabeth ?
( - )
 
 
G5 George Smith
( - )
Elizabeth ?
( - )
Charles Hare
(1760- )
Sarah Aldridge
(1767- )
 
 
G4 John Smith
(1775-1855)
Martha Johnson Hare
(1789-1837)
 
 
G3 Martha Sarah Smith
(1816-1893)
= 1842
Henry Bull
(1813-1891)
 
Enfield, Middlesex
The batch numbers of the IGI records for St Andrew, Enfield are: Christenings: C067861, C067862
Marriages: E067862, M067861, M067862, M067863
The Smith, Hare and Aldridge families lived in the Enfield area north of London from at least the early 17th century. From census data it appears that many of them lived in Forty Hill just north of Enfield. They were largely farmers and agricultural labourers.

As confirmed by the 1881 distribution map, Smith is a very common name in England with no clear origin. Hare appears right along the Eastern half of England and the Aldridges were from the central south.

Enfield Parish church of St Andrew, Market Place (1550 - 1875)

Enfield, Dom. Enefelde (probably from the Anglo Saxon Ún and feld, a forest clearing) is about 9 miles from London by road. The Great Eastern Railway has a branch line to Enfield, and the Great North Railway has also a short line. Enfield parish is very large, containing 12,653 acres, and being eight and a half miles long from east to west and three to six miles from north to south. The river Lea is its eastern boundary, East Barnet and Hadley its western, Edmonton the southern and Cheshunt, South Mimms, and Northaw the northern. Enfield parish is divided into four quarters: Town quarter, comprising the central portion of the parish and the eastern side of Chase Side; Chase quarter, the whole of the Enfield Chase, Windmill Hill, and the western side of Chase Side; Bull's Cross quarter, Enfield Wash, Forty Hill and the north-eastern section of the parish; and Green Street quarter, Green Street, Ponders, and Enfield Highway. Enfield gave the title of Baron to the Earls of Rochford. Enfield has eight manors, two of which, Enfield and Worcester, were formally royal manors, each having its palace and park, and with these the historical interest in Enfield is chiefly associated. In the time of the Confessor the manor of Enfield was owned by Osgar, master of the horse to King Edward. At the Doomsday Survey it belonged to Geoffrey de Mandeville, a powerful Norman baron who accompanied William to the Conquest. The account of Enfield in the Doomsday Book supports the derivation of the name, and gives an unusually bright picture of an English village in the early years of the Conquest. Evidently it was a large village within a cleared portion of the forest.. Edward I, in 1303, granted by charter a license to Humphrey de Bohun and his heirs to hold a market at Enfield weekly on Mondays. James I renewed the grant, altering the day to Saturday.

The church, St Andrew, stands as has been said on the northern side of the market place, and within a spacious but over-crowded church yard. It is of flint and stone, but covered externally with cement, perpendicular in style, and consists of nave, with clerestorey, chancel, and aisles, west tower, with a peal of eight bells, and southern porch. The long side of the church lying parallel to the market place, plaster-covered, and having continuous lines of ugly (and comparatively modern) battlements alike on tower, nave, aisles and chancel, can hardly be called picturesque, and certainly not impressive.

Other churches: Jesus Church, Forty Hill, St George's Mission Church, St James, Enfield Highway, St Matthew, Ponders End

Most records of the family associate them with St Andrew's, Enfield and Jesus Anglican Church, Forty Hill, however some events also took place at St Giles Cripplegate in the center of London. This would imply that some of the family lived near St Giles. The St Giles connection needs pursuit as there are Bull, Hare and Aldridge records there.

While Enfield is now inside the M25 motorway which encircles London, in the 1850s it was a rural area. The Enfield munitions factory was built there in ???? and must have been a major employer for the area.

Notes & References