(ca 1760 - )
(ca 1760 - )
|Alexander Grant||Lillias Stewart||John Grant||Isobel Crookshank|
(ca 1783 - 1839)
(ca 1783- )
(ca 1795- )
(ca 1795- )
(22/4/1808 - 17/3/1890)
Marion Margaret Grant|
(8/8/1823 - 21/9/1894)
Margaret Marion Davidson|
(6 June 1847 - 1 June 1932)
Beriah Paterson Robinson
(25 July 1848 - ca 1902)
Historically the Davidson clan came from the Inverness area, see Scottish Clan History, and have continued to live in northern Scotland until modern times as this map of their distribution in 1881 shows.
As well as being a major trading port it also had a large fishing fleet with, in 1848, 19 boats fishing from Findhorn employing 73 boys and men.
After the railway was constructed in 1858, trade fell away until about 1870, when trading through the port was all but finished. By 1900 there were only 4 boats fishing from Findhorn employing 18 boys and men and the last boat stopped fishing from there in 1935.
Today, Findhorn is mainly a holiday destination, but the presence of RAF Kinloss (est. 1938) and the Findhorn Foundation (est. 1972) make the village a busy place.
The area has been flooded on a number of occasions and the town was moved to the current location in 1702 from its previous location 1 mile to the northwest after it was washed away. Since then, at least twenty other major floods have occurred, the last in 2002.
Today parts of the abbey are still standing and in the grounds is the Kinloss Cemetery, where many Davidsons are buried.
In 1657 Kinloss Parish was created (it was part of Alves Parish) and James Urquhart appointed as the First Minister.
The main town in the area is Forres. A Royal Burgh since 1140, Forres is one of Scotland's oldest towns. It has been claimed that Forres first appears, as Varis, on a map drawn by Ptolemy two thousand years ago. Slightly more recently, Forres became known to a wider audience as the location of some of the early action in Shakespeare's Macbeth.
Forres is also the name of the Parish surrounding the town.
Cromdale and Inverallan parish is based around Granton-on-Spey, a major center of the Grant Clan, which was founded by Sir James Grant in 1766.
Duthil parish is based on Carrbridge, about 10 miles west of Grantown. The old Duthil Kirk (about 2 miles east of Carrbridge) was built in 1826 on the site of churches extending back to before the 15th C. The Kirk (Church) contains the graves of many Grants, including a mausoleum where many of the Grant Chiefs and Earls of Seafield are interred. The Kirk was donated to the Clan Grant Society of the U.K. to be used as a Clan visitor center in Strathspey.
The number of Grant families living in the area both in the 18th / 19th C. and today makes it very difficult to pick out our family.
The Statistical Accounts of Scotland written in the 1790s and 1835 provide an excellent insight into the landscape, economy and lifestyle at that time.
From these accounts it can be seen that this was a predominantly rural area with an agricultural economy, mainly sheep farming.
The present church was built on the same site in 1826. The first of the two Grant of Grant Mausoleums beside the Church was built in 1837. The first Chief of Grant to be interred at Duthil was James Grant, third of Freuchy whose Last Will & Testament, dated 1553. ordered that he be buried in the Parish Church of Duthil.
He died and was interred here in 1585.
The first Protestant minister, William Fraser, was inducted at Duthil in 1614, 54 years after the Reformation. The Church which was dedicated to St Peter has been rebuilt on several occasions; it was renovated just before World War I by Dr Macgregor Chalmers.
In 1843 came the Disruption - the breaking away of the Free Church from the Established Church. After this the "Men of Duthil" - Presbyterians and their followers, worshipped in the open woods at Duthil for three hours every Sunday for seven years, Summer and Winter until the Free Church was built in 1850. Its first minister was a Rev John Logan. Other sections of the church broke away from the Free Church in 1893 and a Union of the Free Churches was effected in 1900
In 1909, the United Free Church built a church and manse in Main Street, Carr Bridge.
In 1930 the Church of Scotland and the Free Churches united.
The Free Church was sold in 1963 and services were held in the church hall which is situated on the road up to the old church (now Fairwinds Hotel)
Old Duthil Church closed for services in 1967 and from 4th March 1969 Duthil Church was deemed no longer in use. It was sold in 1974.