We know According to the shipping records in 1873, Abel was a ploughman.
Abel and Sarah were married in Maulden on the 18th Dec 1855 and had four children, Mary Ann, Emma, Anna Elizabeth and Alfred, between 1858 and 1864.
In 1861 (census data opp.) they were living in George Street, Maulden. Abel was an Agriculral Labourer and Sarah a Straw Plaiter (makers of straw hats) - as were their neighbours (if not Straw Plaiters the women were Bonnet Sewers).
|Abel Joy||abt 1835||Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire||Head||Ag Lab|
|Sarah Joy||abt 1834||Maulden, Bedfordshire||Wife||Straw Plaiter|
|Emma Joy||abt 1860||Maulden, Bedfordshire||Daughter||Scholar|
|Mary Ann Joy||abt 1858||Maulden, Bedfordshire||Daughter||Scholar|
(1834 - 1907)
|= (1) 9 December 1855||Sarah Richardson|
( - )
|= (2) between 1875 and 1895||Emma Rosina|
( - )
|G2||Mary Ann Joy|
(1858 - 1864)
(1861 - 1864)
|Anna Elizabeth Joy|
(1862 - 1864)
(1864 - 1864)
|William James Joy|
= 3 June 1896
Emma Louisa Harper
(1871 - 1953)
(1870 - )
|Sarah Ann Joy|
(1874 - 1874)
|William Joseph Joy(1895 - )||George Thomas Joy(1896 - )||Daniel Samuel Joy(1898 - )|
Their 5th child, William James, was born 3 years later in 1867.
One of the last things they did before departing England, on 9 February 1869, was to get William christened.
One of the first things they did on arrival, on 13 June 1869, was to get William re-christened, this time at the Immigration Barracks in Lyttelton, Christchurch by Bishop Henry John Chitty Harper (the first Anglican bishop of Christchurch, from 1856 to 1890).
Shipping Records for the Caroline Coventry, 1869. the Joys were listed under "Government Immigrants, Families & Children"
Records of St Michael's Church, Christchurch:
|Name||Joy, William James|
|Born||20 April 1867|
|Baptised||13 June 1869|
|Parents||Abel & Sarah|
|Residence||The Barracks, Christchurch|
|Occupation||Immigrant by "Caroline Coventry"|
|Reference||SMC2 / 2144|
The Joys lived in Opawa, possibly Hassals Lane, his address when he died.
Abel died in May 1907 and is buried with Emma in Sydenham Cemetery.