Built by C. Connell, Glasgow in 1869 for Shaw Savill & Co, she started her maiden voyage from the UK via the Cape to New Zealand on 28th Aug. 1869 and arrived there in 84 days.
The ship was noted for it's excellent passenger accommodation which included a ladies saloon. In 1877 she collided with the ELLEN LAMB but was repaired. Transferred to Shaw Savill & Albion on the formation of the company in 1882, she was reduced to a barque. Sold to Sweden in 1903 and renamed KALEVA in 1908. She later became Russian owned and in 1911 stranded on the coast of Northumberland. She was last recorded as a barge at St. John, NB owned by Charles Brister & Son, Halifax, NS. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, Shaw Savill & Albion]